This discussion board relates to this week’s learning objective: compare theoretical perspectives that impact generalist practice and how they connect to a client’s life. You can reach learning objectives by reading the case study you are assigned and providing thoughtful response that includes critical thinking. You will be expected to apply course concepts to your client’s case. The purpose of this discussion board is to help you understand the basics of generalist practice in Social Work by:
Evaluation of the empathy process and identification of key components to empathy and how it relates to the Harjo case.
Explanation of social work values and ethics through application to case studies.
Practice identifying a theoretical framework that could be applied to their case studies.
You will also identify one ethical issue that they locate in their case study and how you would handle it.
You will also self rate the priority of the 6 core values of social work in reflection to their case study.
First Read the Harjo Case Study. Harjo Case Study ( attached below file #1) Also read through the supplemental information on the city of Globe. Harjo Case Study-Globe Supplemental Information (attached below file #2)
You need to address the following questions in your response:
1. How would you demonstrate empathy for your client(be specific)? How is this different than showing sympathy to your client?
2. Out of the theories and frameworks discussed in Chapter 6 (see the file 3 below), which one do you think would benefit your client the most? Why? Include a citation from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss one ethical challenge you observed in your case study (or one you think will be a problem for you). Then discuss how you would resolve it using the NASW Code of Ethics (remember-this will require you to have read the NASW code of ethics (in Appendix of your text or you can use this link) (Links to an external site.) .
4. Rank 1-6 (in a list) the importance of the Social Work core values (service, social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity, competence) and then explain how the top 2 values relate to your case study. (NOTE: Many students miss out on points because they do not relate their top 2 ranked values back to the case
5. How would you locate accurate and reliable information to help your client understand and navigate the justice system? (HINT: Revisit Module 4 for resources for access to legal services)
6. What is one question that you have about your case study/client and its relation to this week’s module material?
Posts should be no less than 300 words and no more than 500 words.